Tips and Tricks for First-Time Weed Cookie Makers
A new crowd favorite when we talk about marijuana are edibles infused with this weed. Baking is a way to relieve stress and anxiety especially for those who truly love baking goods. Having cannabis as one of your ingredients in baking can be more exciting and can help relieve pain and give psychoactive effects that can alleviate stress and anxiety. They can be used in the old-time favorite sweet treats and pastries. Before it was famous to be an ingredient in brownies, but it has been used to bake cookies, too.
Using weed for the first time as an ingredient in baking will need special instructions to get the perfect recipe. To bake with weed, you will need to check these tips to successfully get the best weed-infused cookie:
Choose Your Strain
Getting a perfect strain can affect the taste and aroma. Some strains are citrus while others offer bitterness as coffee and chocolate do. Some of the best strains for edibles are Sativa strains and Indica strains. Sativa strains have an effect on the head while Indica strains give body effects. It would depend on your need as to whether you use them for energy or just to relax at home. Let’s take a look at each of them:
- White Widow
This is one of the most popular Indica strains created. Its properties include peppery and tart flavor that makes you crave for it. Its effect on you just makes you more energetic and happy. Bakers who tried using it suggests the goodness it brings to cookies.
Another type of indica strain whose name rooted from Starwars that makes anyone sleep well. When it is used as an ingredient in baking, it brings a fruity flavor and it perfectly blends with war spices. When having Skywalker in your cookie, eat in moderation as you may fall asleep and forget about the whole day.
- Super Lemon Haze
This is a Sativa strain with combined haze effect and lemon flavor. As its name implies, its lemon flavor gives a bursting citrus zing that boosts energy. When added to baked goods, it adds a rush of the citrus taste that is different when you use pure lemon extract.
- Sour Diesel
Known for its THC load, sour diesel is a popular Sativa strain. The taste is diesel-like as its name suggests giving an intensely sour flavor. It gives a high euphoria when taken, so moderation should also be taken when adding them to baked goods.
After you have chosen the flower for your cookie recipe. It’s time to “decarb” your weeds. This is very essential because it helps in the production of cannaoil or cannabutter that will make the infusion better. It activates the cannabinoid compound in marijuana. Decarbing is baking it until the buds turn from bright green to reddish-brown color. For best results:
- Bake older-dried buds as they take lesser time as compared to a freshly harvested flowers.
- Preheat your oven to 245 degrees Fahrenheit
- Break down the buds into smaller pieces allowing more surface exposed to heat
- Place a non-stick baking sheet on your baking pan and spread the bits and pieces of buds
- You may increase oven temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, but it needs constant checking and mixing to achieve a proper baking outcome and avoid it being burnt
Do not rush this step, it may take 45 minutes for a high-grade weed and more than an hour for freshly harvested ones.
As mentioned in the process of decarbing, breakdown weed into smaller pieces. You may use a kitchen grinder, a kitchen knife, or other shredding tools. If you are in Australia, you can get more of the baking tools mentioned in https://thehippiehouse.com.au/collections/magical-butter especially a grinder to extract your cannabis oil which you will infuse to your baked cookie. While there are a lot of methods to make cannabis butter from oil, here are some tips for beginners:
- It is important to boil a quart of water in a saucepan. This is a common mistake for those who make cannabutter, they infuse without water, which gives a result of burnt taste or flavor.
- As soon as the water boils, you may add your butter and allow it to completely melt
- Then add ground weed, keeping them floating above the pan to about 1.5 to 2 inches
- Cook on low fire and until the mixture thickens, this usually takes three hours. Once the mixture is thick, pour it onto a bowl lined with cheesecloth and squeeze out excess butter. Let this cool at room temperature. If you plan to keep some for future use, you may keep it in a tightly sealed jar and you may refrigerate it for up to six months.
This baking base or oil will be your ingredient when you bake your cookies. The next thing you need to know is the proper amount to be used in your recipe. At first, you might experience batches that are too potent, less potent, or strange flavored. Like any other cooking recipe, practice makes perfect. You may try out different ratios for your recipes until you get the perfect amount. Here is a way to test your cannabutter:
- Taste a small amount, say a teaspoon of your butter and wait until it has an effect on you, this usually takes 45 minutes to an hour.
- If you feel that this is not potent enough, you may increase the amount to one and a half and see if it has already an effect, and so on, until you get your desired potency.
- Once you decide on the proper amount using this ratio for one serving. So if you make 24 cookies, use one and a half teaspoons for every cookie.
Once you are done just enjoy baking and have fun. Make use of your cannabutter and try it on several cookie flavors or variants that you usually bake. You can now have your sugar cookies. choco chip cookies or oatmeal cookies infused with weed making it not just an ordinary cookie, but something you can much whenever you want to feel relaxed or just make yourself full of energy during a busy day.