How CBD Oil Can Help Manage Nausea & Vomiting
Nausea can spring from a variety of sources/reasons. Most common ones are – low blood sugar levels, gastroenteritis, food poisoning, sensitivity to smell, motion sickness, flu, dizziness, anxiety. Sometimes it can be a side-effect of anesthesia and chemotherapy. In severe cases, it can be symptomatic of underlying liver or kidney diseases.
Menopause and Nausea
For many women, menopause and nausea seem to be a package deal.
Let’s break down the processes that happen during perimenopause and menopause. As you near this stage, your ovaries begin to slowly shut down. It’s because now they have fewer eggs. Therefore, they no longer ‘need’ to function as actively as they did earlier. Resultantly, estrogen production slows down.
Progesterone – another important hormone is produced in dominance during reproductive years. During the time leading up to menopause, production of this hormone also slows down resulting in a variety of symptoms including indigestion, heartburn, and bloating. Another major side-effect of low progesterone is – nausea.
CBD Oil For The Management Of Nausea
There are more anecdotal records and reports than you can count which stipulate CBD’s effectiveness in managing vomiting and symptoms of nausea. Many people who experienced nausea as a side-effect of chemotherapy or HIV/AIDS found cannabidiol helpful especially when they were exposed to a cocktail of pharmaceutical aid.
A lot of research went into establishing CBD’s antiemetic effects. Below are some studies that came-up with most high-impact conclusions –
- British Journal of Pharmacology published a study in the year 2011. It revolved around analyzing the effects of cannabidiol on lab animals. And while the neural mechanism of nausea is not fully understood yet, it did confirm CBD’s antiemetic effects. The study was conducted on a variety of animals that are prone to vomiting when exposed to a toxic challenge.
- European Journal of Pharmacology confirmed in an article published in 2014 that cannabis has been long known for limiting and preventing both nausea and vomiting arising due to a variety of conditions.
- One of the reports published in 2016 highlighted the findings of administering THC and CBDA in combined doses to suppress acute nausea. It was found that the individual doses of CBD were ‘maximally effective’.
How CBD Works to Manage Nausea & Vomiting
British Journal of Pharmacology explained the working mechanism of CBD in terms of controlling waves of nausea. It said –
“CBD or cannabidiol is a non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis. It attenuates nausea-like tendencies through indirect agonism of somatodendritic autoreceptors in the dorsal raphe nucleus.”
To a layman, that may not make much sense. So, let’s break it down in English –
- CBD or cannabidiol doesn’t work like THC which is a major psychoactive compound found in cannabis strain. THC works by binding itself with CB1 & CB2 receptors. However, CBD runs by interfering with the mechanism that set into motion vomiting and nausea-like feelings.
- CBD works by triggering 5-hydroxytryptamine-1A that fights off sensations of nausea.
- CBD encourages serotonin production which relaxes the vomiting center of the brain.
- Cannabidiol supports the production of a natural enzyme and a neurotransmitter called – anandamide. It induces a sense of happiness which is why it’s called ‘the bliss molecule’. This neurotransmitter controls motivation, movement, and memory. It also influences appetite, pain management, and fertility. One can see how its production should help in the management of uncomfortable feelings of nausea.
Why CBD Oil?
CBD is something that can be consumed in a variety of ways. You can smoke it or consume it in the form of edibles. Then why should you prefer pure CBD oil over any other form?
Here’s why –
- First off, CBD that comes from hemp is legal in all 50 states. It carries less than 0.3 THC which is the limit set by the law. That means you can exploit its medicinal properties without any unwanted psychoactive effects coming in the way.
- When CBD oil is extracted via the CO2 extraction process, it yields pure CBD that maintains essential terpenes profiles, vitamins, minerals, and acids. Industrial Hemp Farms maintains a catalog of CBD oil products that are extracted using CO2 method.
- CBD oil is super easy to consume and administer. The convenience factor alone is reason enough for many people to choose CBD oil over any other method of consuming cannabidiol.
- You can mix CBD oil with a variety of recipes and beverages. However, the most common administration method is to put it under the tongue for direct and quick absorption by the body.
Final Thoughts on CBD for Managing Nausea (Particularly During Menopause)
Many women report feeling more nauseous following HRT (hormone replacement therapy). That is why many choose to manage menopausal symptoms with non-hormonal medications. Most women prefer to stick with natural and organic means of managing those symptoms.
CBD is definitely a safer and more natural way to go about managing nausea. However, do remember to start slow with CBD oil to avoid any unforeseen effects. CBD dosage can vary significantly from one person to another.